Monday, September 17, 2012

Ben's bike - an update

Back in May, I told you all about Ben's new bike.  You can check that post out here.

Ben's bike is a Mini Tike from Trailmate.  Below is the picture from the website.  Unfortunately, it doesn't come in red anymore...just yellow. 

As I said in my previous post, we made a few adjustments by adding a back rest and straps on the pedals, but that was it.  Total cost came to around $500.  Yes, more expensive than a bike with training wheels but WAY less expensive than the typical adaptive bike.

In the end, we had to make one more adjustment.  The trike was really tippy.  Scary tippy.  Ben actually tipped it for real once, but luckily, my dad was standing right there when it happened and was actually able to catch him.

I wasn't happy with the tippyness factor so we asked my cousin's husband (a welder) to help us out.  He widened the back wheel base by about 6 inches as you can see in the picture below.

 
 
It really made all the difference and we haven't had any tipping issues since.
 
Ben absolutely LOVES his bike.  And has even decided that he's OK with it being yellow.
 


4 comments: